- Pets can run away for many reasons including fear, opened doors and gates, jumping or digging through fences, breaking the leash or collars slipping off, burglaries, car accidents and more. According to a recent study by the ASPCA, approximately 5 million to 7 million animals enter shelters every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized. Each of your pets should have identification, even if they are indoors all the time. Many people tell me they don’t think their indoor cats need identification, but there are many reasons your cat could find himself outdoors. Even leashed dogs need to wear ID tags in case of an accidental escape. According to the National Council on Pet Population, less than 15% of dogs, and only 2% of cats are returned to their owners.
- ID tags come in a variety of sizes and styles. Here is a list of 3 of the most common styles of tags. Order here online, and receive your order in the mail in just a few days!
- 1. Simple Engraved Dog Bone Pet ID Tags– Available in 8 colors, won’t tarnish or rust, laser engraved permanent lettering. I ordered three of these for my pets, and it cost me less than $8!
- 2. Smartphone Dog ID Tag with GPS– GPS, Star Wars Design, Lost and found pet I.D. Tag recovery system, Locate the owner within seconds, provides important information such as health conditions.
3. Engraved Stainless Steel with Enamel Pet ID Tag– Many styles to choose from, Stainless Steel and Enamel, Pet’s name and two phone numbers.
- Your dog or cat should have identification tags attached to his collar with a CURRENT phone number to reach you. Pet tags can help others return your pet to you if they ever become lost or stolen. Make sure to update your tags if your phone number changes. Depending on the design of your tag, you can engrave a personal message. Here are some ideas I have seen.“Hi, my name is Bella 602-761-8590.”“I’m lost, please call Mike 602-761-8590”“Mandy misses me 602-761-8590”“Jack Needs Meds 602-761-8590”“Diabetic Call ASAP 602-761-8590”“Reward if Found 602-761-8590”
- Many lost pets don’t find their way home, simply because they are too cute! By personalizing your ID tag message, triggers compassion in whoever mind find your pet. Also, if you pet has a health condition, it is a good idea to list it on the tag.